Mandore Gardens


Scenic, landscaped grounds featuring tomblike monuments, a temple, statues & the ruins of Mandore.

The town of Mandore is located 9 kilometres north of Blue City of Jodhpur. In ancient times, it was the capital of Pratiharas who ruled the region in 6th century AD. The old capital was shifted to Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur due to security concerns in 1459 AD. The remnants of the ancient capital can be still found if you visit the famous Mandore Gardens of Rajasthan. The town also exhibits other historical monuments such as Mandore Fort, old Mandore Palace and Ravan Temple.

Mandore is located about 5 miles north of Jodhpur. It was the former capital of Maharajas of Marwar. Later it was abandoned for security concerns regarding the Mehrangarh fort. Its extensive Mandore garden, with high rock terrace, makes it a popular local attraction. The garden is open for tourists from 8 am to 8 pm.

Most of the Havelis are up for display to the common public of today. Bhanwar Niwas is surely one of the exaggeratedly splendid additions to the Rampuria Haveli. Built during the 1920s, Bhanwarlalji Rampuria, who was an heir to a textile and real estate fortune, incorporated the style and architecture prevalent during the 1920s. The Bhanwar Niwas has now been established as a popular hotel for tourists. There are more than twenty guest rooms which are unique and different from the other.

In the Mandore garden, there are the dewals or cenotaphs of Jodhpur's former rulers. Instead of the usual chhatri-shaped cenotaphs typical of Rajasthan, the cenotaphs of the famous Mandore garden of Jodhpur, Rajasthan are built along the lines of a Hindu temple. They are four stories high, with fine columns and an elegant spire, all in red sandstone. The most impressive dewal is the dewal of Maharaja Ajit Singh. These cenotaphs are set in beautiful landscaped gardens. The cenotaphs of the Maharani are set on a rocky outcrop over the hill.

Near to the cenotaphs is the hall of heroes. The hall is dedicated to various deities and Rajput folk heroes. The statues of the deities and heroes we are carved out of rock and painted in bright colors. Also in this garden of Jodhpur, is "The Shrine of the Three Hundred Million Gods", filled with brightly colored images of the various Hindu Gods. As you climb up the hill, you come to the ruined city of Mandore, with its old palace.

Mandore Garden is located in a small town Mandore in the district of Jodhpur of Rajasthan. Mandore was once the capital of the Marwar kings and is 9 kms away from Jodhpur city. The extensive Mandore Garden has high rock hill terrace, making it a poular local attraction. The cenotaphs of former rulers of Jodhpur can also be seen inside the Mandore Garden. These cenotaphs are not of usual shape and are built along the lines of a Hindu temple. These are built of red sandstone and are four stories high, with fine columns and an elegant spire, . The most attractive dewal is the dewal of Maharaja Ajit Singh and set in beautiful landscaped gardens. The cenotaphs of the Maharani are set on a rocky outcrop over the hill.

History


Mandore is an ancient town, and was the seat of the Pratiharas of Mandavyapura, who ruled the region in the 6th century CE. The rulers of this dynasty probably became vassals of the imperial Gurjara-Pratiharas.After the disintegration of the Gurjara-Pratihara empire, one branch of Pratiharas continued to rule at Mandore. In 1395 CE, a princess of this branch married Rao Chunda of Rathore clan. Rao Chunda received the Junagarh fort in Mandore in dowry, and moved his capital to the site. The town remained the Rathore capital until 1459 CE, when Rao Jodha shifted his capital to the newly founded city of Jodhpur. Mandore was the capital of the erstwhile princely state of Marwar (Jodhpur State), before moving to Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur.

Visitor Information

Famous for : Rich Flora and Architectural Heritage.

Entrance Fee : 100 per person.

Visiting Time : 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Visit Duration : 90 to 120 minutes.


Related tours